Intended learning outcomes
A student that successfully completes this course unit will be able to:
- Understand relevant aspects of several coding standards for voice and video, through the characterization of the delay, complexity and traffic statistics.
- Recognize the different technologies and protocols used in multimedia services, with special emphasis on aspects of signaling in voice over IP networks (e.g. SIP/SDP).
- Analyze and describe the operation of multimedia data transport, real-time transport protocols (e.g. RTP) and the mechanisms of resilience to errors and packaging.
- Recognize the different ways to provide quality of service to applications, from the point of view of the communication network: differentiated and integrated services.
- Plan and implement multimedia communication services and their supporting network architecture.