Intended learning outcomes
A student completing this course unit should be able to:
- Describe and explain the functioning of digital communication systems and processes, as well as the problems and limitations inherent to digital communication
- Describe and explain the operation of asynchronous and synchronous serial communication protocols and the respective application domains
- Select and apply error detecting and correcting codes, according to the system requirements to be implemented
- Recognize, identify and apply the main data encoding lossy and lossless techniques
- State the main measures of information theory and apply them to concrete engineering problems
- Design, implement and evaluate systems that include digital communication between devices, according to the required requirements, on different hardware and software platforms.