Intended learning outcomes
On successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Understand the mathematical foundations of data compression.
- Know the human perceptual audio and vision systems and the color models for image and video.
- Understand and analyze lossless coding methods (entropy coding, dictionary-based coding, arithmetic coding, differential, and predictive coding) and lossy coding methods (scalar and vector quantization, transform coding).
- Evaluate the efficiency of codification methods for lossless and lossy representation of multimedia data such as text, audio, image e video.
- Apply multimedia standards (JPEG, MPEGx, H26x) to different kind of data and to have critical thinking about those standards.