Intended learning outcomes
- To develop the student's mathematical reasoning abilities and to enhance their ability to read, understand and construct mathematical arguments.
- To develop the student's ability to count and enumerate objects in both abstract and practical situations.
- To master the key concepts relating to numbers, their properties and the fundamental operations involving them.
- To be able to identify and work with elementary discrete structures, and apply them to describe sets of objects and relationships between them.
- To be able to identify problems that can be solved algorithmically and to develop the ability to devise algorithms from the mathematical solution in order to solve simple problems.
- To be familiar with some of the main areas of application of discrete mathematics and to know how to solve practical problems using computational tools when appropriate.
- To develop the ability for abstract and deductive reasoning, as well as problem solving skills.